1. Make sure you have a high-speed internet connection, good lighting so that your partner can see you well, and a calm and quiet environment.
2. Don't forget to introduce yourself!
3. It's impossible to learn a language without making mistakes! Your goal is to communicate. Don't bother trying to construct the perfect sentence. Let your coach know if you ever want him to correct you more or less.
4. Your coach's job is to guide the conversation, but you do most of the talking! Share about yourself and your culture. Ask your coach about him/her/them and his/her/them culture. Try to make cultural comparisons.
5. Remember that this may be your coach's first time coaching, so be patient and understanding! Your coach may have an accent or use unfamiliar structures - don't hesitate to ask for clarification!
6. A language exchange offers you the opportunity for an informal conversation. While your coach can help you with pronunciation and vocabulary, don't expect him/her to teach you the finer points of grammar. The purpose of a language exchange is conversation and cultural exchange.
7. It takes a lot of practice to learn another language. Reward yourself by having fun on these exchanges!
Discovering a new culture is an adventure. Enjoy it!